Sunday, December 2, 2012

Odd Feasts

.
Franz's Symbol of Wisdom
I have eaten snails, snakes, eels, turtles, tongues, ears, snouts, jowls, brains, lungs, liver, kidneys, gizzards, hearts, sweetbread, blood sausage, blood gravy.

I've had aligator, squid, piranha, muscles, clams, oysters, shark, sailfish, and other fish.

I've eaten sheep, goat, deer, rabbit, squirrel, and South American groundhog.

I've devoured stuffed chicken neck, stuffed pig bladder, and a hundred variations of stuffed intestines called sausage in natural casing.

I've eaten strange combinations of pickled stuff. Pickled eggs, pickled herrings, pickled lungs, pickled pig's feet, pickled tongue, jowls, and snouts.


Back in 1957, working at my full time job, I, the apprentice had to pick up lunches for several of the older workers. I would take the order to the local lunch counter and wait for the cook to get it together.
One lady in the front office often ordered peanut butter and bacon on rye. I have loved peanut butter since I first came to this country, but never tried this combination.

Only recently, 55 years later, I tried it. Instead of rye bread I used two slices of wholewheat thin bread.
I dolled up my plate with some grapefruit slices, sat down ready to enjoy.




You know, the combination didn't do anything for me. The bacon overpowered the peanut butter and the peanut butter overpowered the bacon. It had no taste. Truly is a strange combination. I could not distinguish any flavor. Sad, but I ate it all anyway.
.  

No comments: