Monday, April 22, 2013

Ear Buds vs Tree Buds


In the past I've made statements like, "I remember when one could hear a bee buzz twenty feet away and could not see it. Today one can see a bee three feet away and cannot hear it."

It is not only the drone of incidental noise in the air that contributes to not hearing, but also loud music, home entertainment, and being self-absorbed in gratifications.

"Stop and smell the roses," has more than one meaning. I know one can bend over and smell a rose, but does anyone see it for its beauty. The same for running, stop, take a deep breath and actually commune with God's creation.

A jogger may run right past blooming dogwoods and simply say,"Ah, nice white." Then just keep moving on.


As we run through life we miss the beauty that is free to see and enjoy. We run with our head down afraid to make eye contact as not to be forced to engage in a greeting, and Lord forbid, a conversation.

Look what one can see if we only slowed enough to walk:


All of a suden we see a painting, a composition, hear a tune in your heart. You have switched from self to something outside of yourself. Realizing you say, "What about that!"


Gee . . . you've stopped running. Now you've made eye contact with nature, a non-threatening image. An image one can easily smile at. You feel free - at ease. You realize this is what is missing in your life. "Be still and know that I am God . . . Ps 46:10" The Scripture says.


Uninhibited, you will want to get close. You will absorb something into your soul that has not entered for selfish reasons. You are open. "Speak to me," you say. 

So is it with God. Quit running, dismantle yourself, and listen.


2 comments:

Alfie Beisser said...

Last night, I took Julia to soccer practice, and had decided I would get some exercise. I made sure to grab my earbuds so I could listen to some music as I walked around the sports complex.

It was a beautiful evening, and at the moment I started my walk, I decided to nix the ear buds and just take in "life". As I walked, my body was invigorated by the exercise, and I was immersed in the setting: the sound of kids playing, the "ping" of baseball bats, coaches barking encouragement, birds singing, a river rushing; birds racing across the sky and squirrels frolicking in the trees, the pastel greens of trees leafing out on the mountains, shadows stretching across the lush grass of soccer fields; the brisk breeze on my skin and the temperature dropping with the sun...

It was so nice.

My mind as well as my senses were fully engaged, enraptured by the wonder and joy of life.

To think, I almost missed it by making a cheap trade for mindless media.

Sally Roseveare said...

Franz, this was beautiful in every way. Thank you for reminding us to "stop and smell the roses."