Tuesday, January 14, 2014

An Ode To The King




An Ode To The King
by
Franz X Beisser

Ah, Christmas, the season of sharing––what annual fun,
If we’re not careful, it can get quite overdone.

Giving shirts, more shirts with sales tag wagging.
Fancy ties and dapper hats, all not worth the bragging.

Long-johns, how many does a fellow need?
One in the drawer, and one doing its deed.


Does a guy need a present from the digital world?
For fifty years he was without it––why now be spoiled?

Does a guy need a book on gardening means,
When still in the freezer are last century’s beans?

So what are the best gifts the old guy should get?
Treats––like the pooch for good behavior,––you bet!


A sack full of goodies such the wife cannot stand.
Goodies all aged and packaged in a mystery land.

With labels printed in silver and gold Chinese,
Ingredients and spices added by pious Mongolese.

The goodies must explode with sharpness and flavor,
Only a man with exquisite palate and grit would savor.


Pickled eggs, hot cherry peppers to make the mouth pucker.
Black olives, purple and green, for which I am a sucker.

Herrings, kippered and smoked, in wine sauce sour.
Sardines, spiced and skinned, in bites ready to devour.

I love smoked fishes in olive oil layered two deep,
Or singed in hot sauce, a true memory to keep!

Smoked oysters from the Mekong’s clean waters, the ultimate treat!
Stuffed with pride into shiny new cans, sealed and packaged all neat.


Why not soft and hard cheeses, some born years ago,
Still improving with age as surely you do know!

Brie, how delicate its flavor, on a cracker sprinkled with pepper,
Or layered inside a hot baked potato, oh my, what could be better!

Camembert, its fast growing mold so pungent and white––
Paired with onions on seeded rye, a man’s true delight.

Smoked Edam and Gouda makes great little cubes,
Much superior to anything squeezed from a plastic tube.


Cheeses, bring them on!––Havarti, Fontina and Asiago too.
And don’t forget, the Kaiser of cheeses must make his debut.

The aroma arrives first with it an instant cheer.
I offered to share it, but none dared to come near.

All the other cheeses stood respectful in the wing,
Smiling, bowing to their ruler––Limburger the King!


I have gained eight pounds since last Christmas so fine,
Eating cheeses for breakfast, supper and at snacking time.

For weeks my wife noticed a gathering fragrance in the fridge.
I did not tell her, but knew the King waxed picante and rich.

It was well into January when the King took the stand.
An anointing with pomp was his rightful demand!


My wife, all giddy with joy, went quilting from morning till four.
From the fridge stepped my King, as she closed the front door.

Basking on fine china he blended to room temperature,
Giving a boost to its excellent flavor and aroma for sure.

The knife, the onion, and rye bread were ready for duty.
All waiting to give honor and elevate that aging beauty.


A little Mozart added to lift my heart’s dancing,
The dog aroused from deep sleep came prancing.

It wasn’t the music, the smell the onion was making.
It was the scent of something dead that caused his awaking.

Poo-bear, I said, this heavenly treat is for Papa alone.
I promise you will lick the plate––better than an old bone.


His tail wagged with anticipation as my nostrils flared,
To take a good bite now, was all that I cared.

Discarding the crust, so pungent and ripe, would be a sin.
A nibble of it made my palate explode. Wow––truly a win!

The crunch of the onion supported the creamy inside,
Delivered by the rye bread––with chest-pounding pride.


Each bite built more flavor on top of the last,
I enjoyed every morsel till noon day long passed.

My wife will be home shortly, the aroma still in my nose,
And wafting happily through the house I suppose.

I opened the deck door and a window or two,
Praying for the breeze to freshen the air all new.


The wrapper I buried deep in three zip-tight bags,
Then I noticed the pooch’s boisterous wags.

Come here my little brother in crime,
Lick this plate clean, we don’t have much time.

I scrubbed my hands and finger nails too,
Bent in the sink to rinse my mustache with bubbly shampoo.


The scented candle gently crackled and hissed,
While I sat in the chair waiting by my love to be kissed.

Its been a long day and I did miss my wife,
But the King of all cheeses had added to life.

She bounded through the door all jolly and filled,
Then drew a deep breath for a greeting so fine––WHAT STINKS?


No comments: