Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Novel: Red Solstice

After six years, I think the Novel is ready to be published. An author friend told me, "It's time to lay the baby down." The first draft was nearly 130,000 words. I have sharpened it to 94,000 words.

I self-published my first work, A TIME AND PLACE, The Making of an Immigrant, and sold over 3,000 copies.

This novel, RED SOLSTICE, I plan to publish electronically, as well as a hard cover version.
The subject is a WWII soldier missing in action. Declared dead by the German government, but survived eleven years of captivity.
I wrote the novel in the first person. Following is the intro page to the novel.

We immigrated to America when I was fifteen.
All was new––the vastness, the people, the language.
The old however, was etched deep in me.
I never knew my father.
He left before I was four years old.
He went to war and never returned.
Missing in action, they say.
For more than sixty years
I’ve wondered what might have been.
I had to write this book,
To cross the troubled waters,
To feel his struggles, as they may have been,
To rest my mind.
How could I find his words?
How could I portray his pain?
How could I calm my own nagging heart?
I myself needed to put on his shoes;
Step into a time that I never knew.
Yes, it is he I needed to become––
To at last get to know him.


1 comment:

Claudia Condiff said...

When it comes out, I want a copy..