Thursday, November 24, 2011

All Creatures Need A Home

.

Nippy comes before cold. Cold works its way in before frost. Frost is the greeter who welcomes snow. Snow comes to cover, to hide, to shut out. . . All creatures need a home.

I recently went to the barn to start my tractor. No reason, just to keep the battery ready. . . Well, it would not crank. When I opened the lid to expose the battery, I found this huge nest on top of it. Earlier in the year I removed a mouse nest from the same place. It was smaller, tighter, and the stuff used was more fuzz and fibers. This nest however, looked wild and thrown together.



Thrown together with leaves, small sticks and, look at it close, a snakeskin.


Now, I know a little mouse could not haul that thing up the tires and under the hood without a big rat helping. 

Maybe that isn't a snakeskin at all. Maybe a bunch of squirrels ordered in some steamed shrimp?


.

No comments: