Saturday, January 21, 2012

No Need For Batteries

.
A lot of us remember Christmases of years past when decorating, eating goodies we didn't get during the year, was the highlight of the season.

We also remember when the kids were the only ones who received presents. Mom and Dad just couldn't afford any for themselves.

I venture to say that by this time in January half the Christmas presents the kids received in this country have already been forgotten, or wound up with dead batteries, and now are laying in the corner, or on the floor of the closet.

With the stuff that is peddled to the kids, and bought for the kids, I wonder how much of it helps to challenge and develop the child's brain. The most difficult challenge is to find the hole were the battery goes in.

I love this picture of a couple of kids taking turns riding a cart they built.

  
I love their ingenuity. The exercise the kids get. "I'll pull you, . . . you pull me."

Every boy needs his own hammer, a box of assorted nails, and a pile of old boards. Throw in some tricycle wheels, or any other kind of wheels, you can keep a couple of boys out of trouble all week.


When my older boys were 12 and 13, I donated to their cause a partial keg of 8d nails I got at a garage sale for $1. Those boys spent an entire summer building a fort in the woods.

Those were the days!

American ingenuity, drive and zeal for achievement is fostered by thinking, planning, trial and error. Not by worrying about self esteem.

.

No comments: