Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm Off To Chase A Rabbit

.
As a foreigner, having to learn a new language at 15, I find myself still learning 55 years later.

For me to encounter a new saying is kind of fun. I like to think of the origin of certain words, or a string of words.

For instance: What is a "doozy"? . . .  Why do some people get "Drunk as a skunk"? . . .  What is a "Puddle jumper"? . . . Why are some "Loose as a goose", and others get "Stoved up"? . . . Why do some folks "Cut out the light", and others "Turn out the light"?

I have a neighbor that told me he will carry his pony to our house so my boys can ride it.

Why are some folks "Off to the races"? . . . While others are "Off to see the wizard". Still others are "Off to see a man about a horse".

Some are "Off on a tangent", while never getting "Off their duff".

Some are so far "Off track", they are "Off to la-la-land", until someone turns them around to go "Off to face the music".


I don't want to go on, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm glad I didn't have to learn Chinese.

.

1 comment:

Sally Roseveare said...

Franz, I wonder about those things a lot! Like you, I could go on and on, but I won't.