Friday, March 9, 2012

Squirrels, I got your number!

.
Quite a while back I bragged about out-smarting the neighborhood squirrels. Actually the feeder I built does work. The little buggers can't reach to top of the PVC pipe to pull themselves up. A good thing.

"Hello," the squirrel hollered to his friends. "A new scoop of bird seeds is showing!"


"Problem is guys, I can't reach the top." He admitted. So, he slid down the skinny pole to sit on the deck railing.
He sat there, pretending to enjoy the scenery, all the while clucking out explicits to the birds who came to partake.


First the cardinal.


Then the woodpecker. I tell you in the pecking order of dominance of the bird world, nobody messes with the peckerwood, as some folks call them. Not even the bluejay dares to go near him. I guess, one whop of that powerful beak could kill any bird.

Very timidly, the squirrel tried his luck one more time. Again he wound up on the deck floor eating the crumbs scattered from above.


Reminds me of the Rich man and Lazarus in the bible. Lazarus wound up eating the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table, as the dogs licked his sores. . . . I guess the squirrel will wind up in heaven as well, if he cleans up his language.


.

No comments: