Thursday, May 24, 2012

Trash Becomes Art

.
The concrete sidewalks in foreign countries are a lot cleaner than here in the US. I'm not talking about litter. I want to point out the thousands of black blobs on our sidewalks around the country.

Those black blobs are, as you know, the result of flicking ones chewed gum. Now I'm sure you don't do that. But millions of slobs do. I'm sure when they spit out their gum, none of them will step into it. But what do they care? They probably threw the wrapper on the sidewalk as well.

I hate it when I step in one of those little buggers and drag the sticky strings along with me. You find people dragging the blobs into restaurants. You see them ground in the foyers and in the facility's carpet.

I'm sure to clean up such muck costs the establishment plenty of money. Of course, it is passed on to your bill.

When in a restaurant, how many times have you reached to move your chair closer to the table and stuck your finger into one of those buggers? I have encountered them under tables and even church pews.

When I was a kid we couldn't afford gum. After coming to this country, I stuck mine behind my ear until I again gave the thing more of a workout.

By now you say, "Get to the point Beisser!" . . . here is my point. Look at this great work of art found in a very interesting city.


I took this picture in Charleston SC. It is very obviously a community effort. Not only an effort not to gum-up the city's sidewalks, but to create beauty while doing it.

This wooden telephone pole is right at an intersection in the town's most visited area, the downtown market. Remember, this is the city where one is not allowed to spit or blow your nose on the sidewalk either. (See a previous post: "The Law Of Local Folks")

A novel idea, don't you think?

..

1 comment:

Becky Mushko said...

I lived in Charleston 42 years ago and never saw anything like this.