Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sardines On Strawberry Shortcake

.

Some people like to live HIGH ON THE HOG.

Don't forget about us folk that like it LOW ON THE HOG.

The highfaluting people like their pork loins, their pork chops, their baby back ribs, and their hams. The common folk, and I'm proud to be in that group, can savor the delicacies a bit lower on the hog.

How about a hunk of sows belly, smoked, cured or just plain, cooked with your cabbage, sour kraut or soup beans. If you want to go a bit lower on the hog, take the snout, the ears, the jowls and the tongue,  chop them up, cook them with vinegar, salt, peppercorns and bay leaves. Let it set, it'll jell. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a have of a hard boiled egg, you got a Julia Chiles masterpiece.  Yum, yum!

A little lower are the knuckles. Lot of gristle (Glucosomine), little meat, plenty chewing. To suck out the marrow of the bone is the best part.

How about the INNERDS. The brains, the lungs, the kidneys, the sweetbread, the liver. A major yum yum if it's done up right.  See my book.  PS, soak the kidneys in salt water for a day or two to remove the urine flavor.

My well experienced taste buds have evolved to a status of renown, making me a connoisseur of the world's most exquisites delicacies.


Just look at them precious little fish tails, delicately pickled in wine sauce, invitingly hanging from the kaiser roll. The taste explodes in ones mouth, etching an unforgettable memory.


As you may assume by now, whenever my wife and I are in a "Fancy" restaurant, I tend to order the "Unique" special. Well, at such places, she often moves to sit alongside of me, to avoid having to look at what was presented on my plate. She doesn't like fish eyes staring at her. Nor does she like to see little turtle feet, with cute little toenail, waving at her.



This delicacy (above), was presented to me in a restaurant in Florence Italy. Proudly titled "Stuffed Chicken Neck." The skin of the neck was filled with a picante mix of ground, white chicken meat and spices, baked, then sliced.

What you see below is the verification of authenticity of the sacrifice the fowl in the matter had to make. Standing erect, on my plate, was the head of the chicken, who's stuffed neck I was about to savor.


My wife moved to sit alongside of me. (I don't know why, you couldn't see the eyeballs. They were toasted.)

Yum, yum!

.

No comments: