Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Speaking Of Jobs

.

Now-a-days we hear a lot about real jobs vs government jobs.

This in itself gives me grief just analyzing the difference. On a real job, working for a private company, all people employed have one goal. That goal is to produce a product or service to sell to the consumer, make a profit, re-invest, hire more people, grow the business.

On a government job absolutely nothing is produced to sell, not even one toothpick. (The only thing such jobs produce are votes.) On a government job there is no need to re-coop the cost of salaries and overhead. Why sweat it? If there is nothing to sell, it makes sense not to care how long one stays on an assigned task, or when to finish it.


I recently enjoyed an early lunch at a fast food place. Sitting by the window I watched the traffic, people, and yellow, small truck with warning lights blinking.

As the truck slowly eased my way, down the divided avenue, I noticed two workers lethargically digging and scraping in the grass-covered center isle.

I realized it was the local city's crew. Frequently they observed periods of leaning on shovels, drinking liquid (?), as they gradually, step by agonizing step, worked their way to where I could get a closer look at their duties.

One of these two men dug a hole in the ground, about a five-gallon bucket's worth. Then, after another pause of leaning and drinking, the dude who had dug the hole stepped off ten paces and began to dig the next hole. The second guy, also armed with a shovel, promptly filled in the freshly dug hole. Ten strides later, the same sequence repeated itself.

As I watched, and totally puzzled, I gulped down the rest of my water, left the restaurant, and headed toward the working crew.

"Hey, I watched you guys from the restaurant," I said. "Could you clue me in as to what purpose you fellows have in digging a hole then filling it back in?"

"We are planting trees," one of them said with all sincerity.

"I don't understand," I said. "Where are the trees?"

"Oh," said the helpful fellow, "The guy putting the trees in the hole took the day off."

.

No comments: