Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Wood Shed

.
Up in Floyd County, among the trees and bittersweet vines, hanging on to old age, are the support structures for the 100 year old two story home. There is the barn, the wood shed, the smoke house, and the parlor of contemplation.

Hidden among the overgrowth is the wood shed.


Behind this woodshed is a boxwood bush that towers as tall as the shed itself. I imagine at least a handful of kids have received their "correction" out behind the woodshed. And, don't you suppose, a young maiden may have receive her first kiss out behind the woodshed.

Just inside the door of this shed is the well worn chopping block. On this chopping block many-a-sticks of kindling had been chopped, and, maybe a few heads of chickens.


40 plus years after the main house was last occupied, the chopped sticks of kindling are still in the shed waiting to comfort someone, heating a teakettle of water or stew.


To further my suspicion that the old homestead was owned by Europeans, or even Germans, I found currant bushes. ( see post, "If that barn could talk").


They are white currants. One plant had struggled to produce a few berries. My grandmother in Germany grew white, red and black currants. (get my book about the old times as a boy, www.fxbiii.com )
With little sun, the bushes have almost succumbed to creeping vines and perpetual shade. I will make an effort to transplant and save what I can.

I love exploring the old homestead. A person realizes that all things must die. There is nothing permanent in this world. Even you and I are mortal. If you think the worms will have the last laugh with your flesh, I feel sorry for you. As for me, my body may decay, but my soul will be with my Lord. He created us and has given us a choice, in this life, to choose to be made righteous through Jesus, or to reject Him.


.

No comments: