Sunday, October 9, 2011

Last Efforts

.

October is here. Nature is about to close its book to take a rest.

Some of nature's marvels have to make it on their own. Unlike the blooms we cultivate around our homes. We fertilize and mulch. We clip and prune. We spray for mites, we spray to keep deer away. We water when dry, we prop when the wind is done.

Who is helping the brave beauties in the woods, at the edge of the forests? They are just as beautiful as the blooms we dote on.


Bittersweet climbs high. It hangs in clusters of ripening berries. It is soaking up the sun to turn every last berry bright red. Then they give back by sustaining the birds and squirrels through the snow covered months.



Polk berries. They don't all ripen at the same time. The deer love to eat the greens, but always leave enough to mature to give pleasure to opossums, raccoons and bears.



I don't know what these little things are. They probably gave themselves to be grazed upon all year. Now they realized they better hurry and produce some seeds to be of help again come next season.



I do not know what they are either. Cheerful October bloomers; only the size of a dime. Heartwarming! Reminding me even the insignificant in God's Kingdom have also a purpose.



These bitter sweet berries, low to the ground, are saying to the turkeys and grouse, "I have not forgotten you. You can scratch when the snow covers me and I'll be there for you."



I think this is called "Rabbit Tobacco". I'm sure the Lord gave it a purpose. Maybe rabbits do light up a smoke, cuddled close, when outside their little den the snow flies.



Those are tiny blossoms, the size of a fingernail. I have watched them overwhelm the sides of the stream all year. Just a few blooms left. I'm glad I got this picture.


Why have I posted this so seemingly trivial nonsense to the fast-paced world? Because I love to reflect. I know, just like in nature, there is not one human being that is not important to the Maker. We are here to experience His wonder, His love. He is calling. . . .

"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30



.

1 comment:

Becky Mushko said...

The last picture is jewelweed—a type of wild impatiens and poison ivy preventative.

If your skin has been in contact with poison ivy, crush the stems of jewelweed and rub it wherever poison ivy touched you. Or you can rub crushed jewelweed on your skin before you are exposed to poison ivy. It's an old Native American cure.

Jewelweed often grows near poison ivy.