Sunday, March 25, 2012

Here Today And Gone Tomorrow

.
With Easter drawing near, I'm pondering, as I so often do, the purpose of life. Not that I'm depressed, or disappointed with life, but searching to understand the truth and its value.

I know the Truth and that the Truth has set me free. I know my value. Not the value of my assets, but the value of my life in God's kingdom.

So what is my purpose in life? As a Christian my purpose is to express to my fellow man the value God has entrusted to me. So how do I do that? Certainly not by ranting and raving, slamming fists and making arrogant boasts, but by showing, in my walk, the truth that set me free.

What is truth? Truth are not ethics. Ethics differ widely from a witchdoctor's in the jungle of Brazil to the stockbroker's in New York. Ethics are man made. They are constantly shifting. Situational. They follow contrived notions to suit the inherently wicked heart of man. Truth, however, is immutable. Truth, as revealed in the Word of God is constant. Truth exposes the sinful nature of man. It is ". . . living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12.

So, how am I to walk in the truth that set me free? To emulate God. You say that is impossible. You are correct. I, on my own efforts can not achieve such. However, through being redeemed by Jesus, the son of God and His sacrifice on the cross, my sins have been forgiven, my sinful nature reconciled to God. I now can freely walk in His Light, His Spirit, in love for God and fellow man.

What is the fruit of the Spirit? The walk in truth? It is ". . . love, joy, peace, patients, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." (or man made ethics.) Galatians 5:22-23.

Easter is not a holiday, such as bunnies and colored eggs. It is a celebration of Victory over death, hell and the grave. I didn't participate. Jesus did it all for us. The payment for our sins on the cruel cross, and the proof of His Majesty by raising from the dead, was the ultimate expression of God's love for us. For he created us with an everlasting soul. It is not God's wish that any of us should perish, but have eternal life with Him.


Why did I title this post "Here today and gone tomorrow"? I want you also to ponder. You are here today, where will you be tomorrow? You say, "Right here in front of this computer, I hope." You hope. What if tomorrow never comes? Where will you be then? Will you be tending the fires of Hell? Or will you depend on your ethics and become food for the worms?

Look at the picture below. We left our crabapple tree just before full bloom, expecting to enjoy it upon our return home. We were gone no more than 48 hours. It bloomed yesterday. Today the blooms are gone.



 

No comments: